– Cross Country Magazine
Our paragliding thermal course is designed to help pilots not only improve thermal techniques but also to generally progress in al aspects of their flying as well as build confidence.
COURSE PRICE: 990CHF
PRICE WITH ACCOMMODATION: 1,590CHF
PARAGLIDING THERMAL COURSEWe find that so many pilots struggle to improve once they have qualified and have left their school environment. Once certified, continuing to paraglide alone can be quite a daunting and stressful prospect which is why this course will help you to build confidence and self-reliance as well as fine tune your flying skills and even more importantly your decision-making ability.
FLY WITH OUR COACHES
During this course, there is always an extremely
talented and qualified guide who actually flies with you. This is not a case of dropping you off on launch with a brief and saying ‘off you go’. Our guides will actually fly with you and reassure and coach you by radio and provide thorough pre and post-flight briefs. The aim of this course is to make you a better and more confident pilot whilst helping you to get the most out of your valuable flying time here in the mountains.
This is also the best course for completing your BHPA Pilot rating tasks. If you are keen to get Pilot rated (IPPI level 4), then let us know before you come out so that we can organise the necessary paperwork.
CROSS-COUNTRY SKILLS & TECHNIQUES
Amongst other skills and techniques you can expect to learn about some of the following aspects of thermal and mountain paragliding:
- Making good decisions in the mountains. Mountain flying requires a whole new set of skills.
- Basic turns and combining turns and weight shift. (Sounds obvious but this is actually the fundamental thing that many pilots are doing wrong when trying to thermal).
- What to look for whilst flying: when to read the sky and when to read the ground.
- Mapping a thermal.
- Using a multiple core thermal.
- What to do at the cloudbase. (We hear so many pilots say:
I can get to cloudbase but then I don’t know what to do!)
- How to fly in rough air.
- Introduction to XC flying.
- Safety issues with Thermal flying.
- Descent techniques. (And this doesn’t just mean big-ears! Too many pilots want to learn how to go up before they know how to come down.)
- Tasks and airtime for BHPA Pilot rating.
- Learn to thermal, get to cloud base, improve your general flying-skills and gain confidence.
- For this course we require that all students are at least CP qualified and are capable of taking off and landing unsupervised, (although we will of course always help coach and fine tune landings and take-offs, etc.).
Every week from the end of May to the end of September. Courses start every Monday, with arrival days every Sunday if you have booked accommodation.
- COURSE: 5-day course, 6 nights if you have booked with accommodation.
- COURSE WITH ACCOMMODATION: 5 days of flying, all guiding and tuition, 6 nights accommodation and all transport by van or cable car.
COURSE PRICE: 990CHF or 250CHF per day.
– Dave H, Tripadvisor
See the flight highlights
THE OTHER FLIGHTS THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE
Our paragliding thermal course is designed to help pilots not only improve thermal techniques but also to generally progress and build confidence. This is also the best course for completing your BHPA Pilot rating tasks.
Speed-flying is a form of paragliding that combines two exciting sports together… skiing and flying!
You do not need to be an expert skier for this course, however, a high level of paragliding is important.
Verbier-Summits is certified & approved BHPA school located in Switzerland. Switzerland has the highest standard of teaching regulations in the World regulated by the Federal Civil Aviation Authorities, OFAC. Verbier-Summits is the only BHPA school in the world to also be regulated by OFAC. The Chief Flying Instructor at Verbier-Summits is trained and qualified to teach by:OUR SPONSORS AND PARTNERS: